Fighting Poverty with Passion
Where do I start? November has been full of excitement for A’s & Aces. Here’s a short list of the high points:
1. Early in the month, we held our fall silent auction, which had a wonderful turnout. I was amazed by the generosity of local businesses that donated their products and services as well as those individuals placing bids! The auction was held at a board member’s large Garden District home, which served as a beautifully perfect venue. I had the opportunity to meet many of our board members as well as attend my first auction!
2. During this semester, Tulane service learners have been planning and executing service projects for our participants. Our student-athletes have been enjoying the special activities, which include but are not limited to: a kick-off of a lending library and book club, an anti-bullying workshop and a very special field trip to Tulane University.
3. We are having another tournament on November 22nd. This is a one-day tournament for players ten years of age and younger. I know many of our younger participants have been practicing very hard, so I am looking forward to seeing them compete. Naturally, the only day we are expecting rain in the next week is Saturday, so I am hoping it holds off until the tournament is over!
4. Social Media happenings: We are now up on Instagram! If you aren’t following us, you can fix that! Check us out @asandaces. I’ve also been handed the torch for our Twitter account. If you’re following that, then you already know that the Xavier University of Louisiana Women’s Tennis head coach and players volunteered with us–and you can check their video out here and vote in the Super Service Challenge! Yours truly had the opportunity to film and produce this video, so be prepared for excellence. (Or maybe not..)
5. LAST BUT NOT LEAST: We were featured in Tennis Magazine’s Heroes Issue. Not too shabby. Read the article here.
Thanks for reading!